Oracle Autonomous Mobile Cloud Enterprise Review

Declarative binding of the UI components with back end services is a useful feature.

What is most valuable?

• Java as a programming language
  • Drag n Drop/Declarative binding of the UI components with back end services
  • Out of the box support for Data Visualization components
  • With latest version, full read and write offline sync support
  • Follows Oracle Alta UI theme for UI skinning
  • Able to deploy and reuse each module as a Feature Archive (FAR) file
  • Support for enterprise grade security features
  • It's easy to use product with a little compromise on app performance and size

How has it helped my organization?

With existing Java developers and minimum learning curve we are able to build Mobile Native applications. This avoided recruiting a separate team for mobile app development and training them. As we can deploy apps developed using MAF to multiple platforms, we avoided having a separate team maintaining separate code bases for each platform.

What needs improvement?

Deployment and run time performances can be improved. Takes lot of time to support new versions of the OSes and platforms.

I have been using this product (Formerly known as "ADF Mobile") from the day it was launched. That is for almost four years.

App performance is inconsistent sometimes.

Size of the MAF app is very large and it would be nice if they could reduce it.

Oracle provides the best in class customer service and support.

I have tried native mobile app SDKs for different OSs, but there is a big learning curve to start development with them, and an app built for one platform can't be ported easily to other platforms. We chose MAF because it has out of the box support for data visualization components, and offers an easy and declarative way to perform development.

The setup is easy to do. The only problem I faced was identifying the path of JDK v8 and providing it to JDev the first time after installing the MAF extension in JDev.

The implementation was done using an in-house team.

MAF is currently free with Oracle Mobile Cloud Service.

What other advice do I have?

I advise people to explore and implement apps using Oracle MAF. I also encourage people to try out Oracle Mobile Cloud Service (MCS) which is the best value add products for enterprises trying to build mobile apps.