Oracle BAM Review

Provides automatic sending of alerts for the monitoring of the business. It was usual to reset the server in the development and test environments.

What is most valuable?

It provides automatic sending of alerts for the monitoring of the business. This was not used in the projects that I worked on, but it is a feature which works and is very valuable to the organization.

How has it helped my organization?

It developed a report to monitor a stock of activities, charge balanced, and other aspects of the business.

What needs improvement?

There were so many bugs and restrictions that were sold as "characteristics". Also, the support was poor.

There is a need to improve the dashboards design tools, stability, performance and stable connectivity.

Dashboards design tools:
Just a rich design tool is needed, because the Oracle BAM's reports designer is very poor, for example, it doesn't allow to set the font's names and colors. It is basic.

Stability:
So many times I have had to restart the server because of some stability issue. I do not know how to resolve this problem (because I do not know its cause) but I know that is a tough problem for the developers and analysts.

Performance:
The amount of memory used in Oracle BAM (called Active Data Cache) combined with bad data architecture in an application, makes the server slow and difficult to monitor. The need to use different artifacts to implement a solution (queues, database artifacts such as triggers, stored procedures, and materialized views). This makes the solution too complex and unstable.

Stable connectivity:
It was necessary to create external caches (queues) to ensure the communication between the Oracle Business Process Management (Oracle BPM) and Oracle BAM. This is nothing practical and unnatural.

I have used this solution for at least three years, in two different projects.

We did encounter stability issues. It was usual to reset the server in the development and test environments (I don't have any experience in the production environment).

There were no scalability issues. It was good with different data volumes.

Technical support is poor, I would give it maybe a five out of 10 rating. Sometimes the users teach the provider how the product works.

Oracle BAM was my first solution of this kind that I have experienced.

The solution is part of a bigger suite of applications and it needs too many settings and adjustments, especially concerning the connectivity.

I do not know anything about licensing and prices. Considering the issues encountered, I suppose that better solutions can exist with a similar or better price.

This product was a customer's option, and as a consulting company, we had to use it.

What other advice do I have?

Plan well, make some proofs of concept, then implement it. The Oracle trademark does not ensure a perfect software.