Oracle Berkeley DB Review

Directly dumping the XML, querying business attributes using Xquery and creating custom database runtime helped us.

What is most valuable?

Deployment (file-based database), and replication were life savers for my assignment.

How has it helped my organization?

The firm needed a database that could hold sizable volume, along with fast performance. We had many relational database options, but because the communication format of data was mostly FIXML, we really wanted to avoid changing the data shape. That is where dumping the XML directly, querying into business attribute using Xquery and creating custom database runtime helped us win big.

What needs improvement?

There have already been a lot of improvements since I last used the technology. However, I would be excited to see how the technology has developed into the area of blockchain.

Also, technical support is something they should improve.

I used for almost four years, from 2006-2010.

There were some mid-term small releases that caused database crashes, but this was later fixed.

I used technical support a few times, and found it responsive but turnaround time can be improved (6/10).

Oracle 10g XML was the closest to this product. However, open source along with opportunity to explore and add gave us the reasons to go ahead with this technology.

Initial setup was quite easy.

An in-house team implemented it. My advice is that you need to really learn this technology to use it better.

What other advice do I have?

We always had predictability, and by using a custom-built data service layer with plugins, it provided us a lot of scalability, fast turnaround for our fast-moving business requirement and huge data.

We were quite satisfied with the product. For 2006-era technology, Berkley DB XML was quite unique and state-of-the-art.