Oracle BPM Review

The scalability has been enough to cover our backup operations and order management systems

What is our primary use case?

We use it as a middleware for order management and telecommunication. So far, it has been doing okay. We have a team of 10 developers, and they are implementing middleware services on Oracle BPM, which has been working well. We have been working on a major transformation project that will merge some sub-entity company services into middleware. We have been just checking if we are doing okay, this way we can consider other products. I have been conducting recently research on other ESPs and BPMs as a result.

How has it helped my organization?

We use it as a middleware which encapsulates major services. The benefit from the tool is we can develop it quickly and easily use it for middleware services. We can publish the services so other applications can consume them. This is providing us some reusability and a type of security.

What is most valuable?

It is easy to find secured pathways on Oracle BPM. Especially in my country, Turkey, it is easier to find professional people experienced with Oracle Suite products.

What needs improvement?

In the future, the market is consolidating towards microservices approaching software development product. Microservices can be the future of programming, and the old way of doing middleware and implementing middleware services could shift to the microservices side, so we will need some hybrid solutions. At this time, we use the microservices, and microservices will support external digital applications that we publish on mobile and website. We will keep using the middleware side for delivery and back office systems. Therefore, it will not be 100% microservices or it will not be 100% middleware, but instead we are going to use a hybrid approach where some parts use microservices. Thus, it would be good if they could provide some additional connectors or an application developer environment for microservices.

It could have easier administration. It takes time to configure and deploy. We need more team messaging buzz, like Kafka. People do so much business and logic coding in an ESP site, but what we need more of is lightweight messaging mechanisms, like Kafka. This is also the trend. We need some type of pretense for best practices for new generation programs, which can serve digital customers.

We do not have any problems. Stability is reliable.

We extend its own CPU base so we can scale it horizontally, as far as I know. Therefore, we do not have any major throwbacks in terms of scalability. It is doing okay.

We have more than 800 distinct applications in our IT landscape. So far, we have not have any problems with Oracle. We had enough scalability and okay development cycles, and it has been enough to cover our backup operations and order management systems.

I do not use it, but I am told that they provide good call support when needed.

I was not involved in the initial setup. It was done six or seven year ago. This was before I joined the company.

We have not switch yet, but I have been told we have some major transformations coming our way. We are evaluating if we should invest more on the Oracle side or if we can just check the other tools on the market, maybe use some other vendor, or if we are doing fine. We are looking to do some type of benchmark and maybe there will be fewer seats. It is likely that we will continue with Oracle, because we have good know-how on how Oracle BPM with good know-how from the programmers on the product. So, it is likely that we will select Oracle.

What other advice do I have?

So far, it is doing well, but then market trends are shifting and digitalization is coming. More likely messaging mechanisms, microservices, and faster development cycles are needed. Faster development operations with development paradigms are forcing this. Maybe cognization of the product according to a recent trends on the market would be good.

Be aware of market trends. The shift coming over from the business side is a strong factor. This is so we can develop faster products and have quicker order management. It is important to know about the business requirements.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor:

• Its support is most important.
  • Its popularity in the market, especially in my country. This is important, so you can hire skilled people for the tool. Otherwise, you have to go to vendor or extend your company integrators for skills. People who have development know-how is a major criteria in the market. IBM and Oracle products are popular on the market because we can easily find developers and administrators for these two vendors.