Oracle Cloud Platform Review

Scale Up Dependent Applications & Optimize Quickly

What is our primary use case?

We are using the LAN2 as well as the Oracle Cloud Platform. We running the Gen-2 which is called the OC2. We have a global company working with more than 185 employees.

We have customers around the globe and our company is located in 17 international locations. We needed solutions which could be good for our customers as well as our service applications.

We have decided to test the Oracle Cloud Platform. After the testing, we found that it was good for our use case. Thereafter, we have adopted it.

The POC for Oracle Cloud Platform is done. After POC, we have tested with various applications and found it is optimizing us with less time, so that's why we are using it.

How has it helped my organization?

Apart from the licensing, there's support from Oracle Cloud Platform which improved our day to day operations. Time is reduced. Based on this service, we are able to scale up dependent applications as quickly as we can.

There are many other various features of the Oracle Cloud Platform that we have used. It is very good for us in our business organization.

What is most valuable?

Oracle is an enterprise database technology. We have used Oracle products in our database department. That is why most of our testing was in regards to the database department.

What needs improvement?

With the Oracle Cloud Platform, they have to give first some proper documentation with a step-by-step process. Then the customer is able to use it properly.

Nowadays, the Oracle Cloud Platform requires lots of floor work. Things are level in the market and the Oracle naming conversion is something to make a difference between cloud providers.

Those hands-on sessions with Oracle Cloud Platform will be enough, i.e. for product improvement, hands-on sessions can be arranged.

Automation is something else that Oracle can do to improve the service. Apart from that, if you can arrange some hands-on sessions with Oracle to preview OCP, it would be good.

Three to five years.

The stability of OCP is great, it will scale. The solution is excellent. The only caveat is that you have to understand how to properly use it.

The scalability of OCP is very good, more than 7,000 people are using it as of now. They are all in different roles. Other OCP applications, we are using mainly for reporting.

After the training for the deployment, there were 3 people who were taking care of all the core construction. Apart from the OCP side, we have another network expert.

We are planning to increase our usage of OCP. We have adopted e-licensing for the cloud environment. Now we are planning for the next stage of development of services.

Most of the customer support was done from the Oracle side. Then we did it from our end also. This was good and they also did well. The technical support is okay.

Customer service representatives respond to your ticket whenever you have issues with the Oracle Cloud Platform. They respond on time.

We have evaluated AWS. We have evaluated Microsoft Azure as well, but not for this purpose.

The initial setup of the Oracle Cloud Platform is complex with some programming languages, domains, and the networking that we have to do. i.e. uploading our databases, etc.

Those all provide a little bit of a challenge on the Oracle Cloud Platform that we have to understand, and also as per the compliance rules. Then we chose it.

For the setup overall, it was taking not more than 40 days. Then for the next 3 months after implementation, we have done the same for the client sites and service applications.

The final implementation of OCP was not taking more than 20 days. All of our deployment is ready and everyone is able to use it with integration for all our systems.

One consultant that we used was for the DV training. We have gone with a consultancy with them and they guided us in the proper way to get training.

That was very awesome and we understood the concepts for the cloud differences between AWS, Google Cloud, & OCP, as well as conducted one fitness evaluation for our introduction.

Implementation proceeded the way they described it and everything was very good.

OCP is good, not too expensive. Based on the need you can say that there are other good options for people who can go with less time and other approaches to the services.

Both pricing and licensing are affordable with the Oracle Cloud Platform.

We have tested with AWS, we tested with Google, but due to the limitation of AWS, we are not able to host our applications. We are not able to use the rack.

The AWS billing figures were not up to our requirements. That's why we have decided to go with Oracle instead of any other competitor.

What other advice do I have?

If people are looking for a cloud solution I recommend Oracle, but there is one thing which is very challenging to us: with Oracle, there are many options packages.

You can get extreme performance and other things, but it's really costly and that needs to be paid extra for on the plan.

Overall, I give Oracle Cloud Platform an 8/10. Because our consultant showed us how to use Oracle for our service, that was very beneficial.

From the team I come from for my product support also I can say 8/10 for OCP.

1 Comment
Rajeev JhaReal UserTOP 5LEADERBOARD

Easy to learn and DBA training will really help you.

04 July 19