Oracle Cloud Review

Enables us to migrate all of ur on-premises applications and infrastructure onto the cloud

What is our primary use case?

This solution is a complete replica of our data center. Our primary use case is to migrate all our on-premises applications and infrastructure onto the cloud.

What is most valuable?

The solution offers many features and it is a complete replica of our data center. The one thing that is very high level is that it covers multiple regions to host our application. You don't have to worry about disaster recovery. You, therefore, don't have to invest in additional features - it is there by default. The solution has a huge capacity so you don't need to worry about that.

What needs improvement?

I would like to have identity access management. If someone is accessing any application, I should know about it. I think Oracle does have that feature, but with Amazon all the roles are privileged. With Oracle, you have to create your own roles and it is more complex.

I've been using Oracle Cloud for a year now.

In terms of performance, the stability is good. We are upgrading to the new version that has a lot of new features.

It is easy to scale because you have the option to plan your capacity. If you don't know the capacity, how much you need, you can still plan. You can start with one server at first and then there is an option to add one more server into the server pool. It handles the traffic equally. All these things happen automatically and you don't need to worry about the capacity.

The technical support is good. We faced quite a few issues when we installed the program, but the support team assisted us.

I have worked on Amazon and Oracle, both cloud providers.

The setup and deployment took about six months because we have multiple locations like Saudi Arabia, the UAE, we have Egypt and India, but we are moving one by one.

To move the application we need to move one copy of the application on the service to the cloud and test it. If everything is fine, we need to configure everything from scratch. Migration requires downtime - around a month per application.

Costing depends on if you have an existing license for the application and for the operating system. You can bring your own license and use regular licenses. So they have options. I think Amazon is cheaper than Oracle, though.

We tried the Amazon but there were some compatibility issues. The operating system versions didn't comply and that is why we chose Oracle. The cloud is getting more mature every day, advancing quickly for different kind of applications.

What other advice do I have?

I believe the developers are busy improving the solution. It's like they don't have as many features as other providers, so it takes time and they are doing their best. If you are just moving the ERP, you can use the Oracle application, but if you need more open source applications, it is better to go with the Amazon or Azure, because they have more services compared to Oracle, like an autonomous database. I have worked on Amazon and Oracle and my advice is to test it for two weeks or so and look at the price on the sales market before you make a purchase.

I rate this solution an eight out of ten.