Oracle Cloud Review

Relatively easy to set up and deploy but could be better integrated with VMware

What is our primary use case?

Our use case is for a variety of purposes. We use it for our billing system, our operations support system, our analytic data warehousing, digitalization, customer service, marketing, and sales. So it is integral to our operations.

How has it helped my organization?

It provides us with our first opportunity to use a cloud solution.

What is most valuable?

I think the price was actually very good for us although it is not exactly a feature. The autonomous database functions are an excellent feature.

What needs improvement?

Even though the price was not bad for our purposes, I think Oracle should open up their software service more to customers by bringing the pricing down for the product. The cost may be a bit high for many potential users.

One feature I also think I would like to see is better portability of the VMware environment into the Oracle Cloud. I think the integration process should be made more simple. We use vSphere and it was not as easy as it should have been.

We have been using Oracle Cloud for about 16 months now.

As far as our impression of the stability, we have had no outages so far. It has been quite stable.

This product can scale automatically. So if you configure it to scale, it will scale accordingly upon need.

We have around 24 users working on this solution in our company. They all in technical roles like there are business analysts, there are some developers, there are some engineers, and a few DBAs as well.

We have had the opportunity to call technical support and we do like their services. There are not any problems with that part of the experience at all. They are good at what they do.

We had not used a different cloud solution for our infrastructure prior to Oracle. This was our first experience with this type of product.

The initial setup was really quite straightforward. We did it as part of plans for multiple projects but getting up a VMware database was just another half an hour or so. The process was pretty quick but could still be improved.

We did some of the implementations ourselves, but on one of the reporting projects, we used an Oracle integrator. We were not entirely satisfied working with them and came away with mixed feelings. I think they did not make the effort to understand the requirements properly and I think that the delivery was really was not up to our expectations.

What other advice do I have?

Someone considering this product as a solution has to examine their needs. If Oracle Cloud probably meets their use case, then it is a good choice.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Oracle Cloud overall as an eight-out-of-ten. They have a good product but there is really some room for improvement while they are still developing the solution into something more mature.

Private Cloud