Oracle Coherence Review

You can add and remove resources on demand without taking your production system down. It lacks decent visual management and monitoring tools.

What is most valuable?

Coherence allows linear on-line scalability across multiple commodity servers. It’s a very important feature for SaaS providers, as it allows adding and removing resources on demand and without taking your production system down. High availability is a key for financial business continuity, and by distributing clusters across multiple Amazon Availability Zones – while still maintaining very good latency - Coherence is able to sustain hardware or even AZ failure without any interruption on the application side, given that cluster architecture is designed correctly.

How has it helped my organization?

We implement ticketing analytics using Coherence.

What needs improvement?

Coherence lacks decent visual management and monitoring tools. The free solution offered (JConsol) is not very superb in quality, and is not designed for use in a web-based, SaaS environment.

Also, some information on the website is outdated and does not reflect the latest functionality or syntax.

We would like to have comprehensive, native, reliable, out-of-box replication between clusters; we have a DR center on the west coast and we would like to replicate data there, ideally in three clicks, without changing a lot of settings or extensive setup and development.

I used the solution for six months.

I have not encountered any stability issues.

We have not encountered any scalability issues on the cluster side, but we have seen problems with big messages on the .NET client.

Technical support is 3 or even 2 out of 10. Working directly through an account rep or a contact on Coherence dev team helps a lot.

I did not previously use a different solution.

Before choosing this product, we evaluated GridGain and Hazelcast.

What other advice do I have?

Get a cheaper price and consider your code stack – it fits best with Java-based companies.

12.1.3
More Oracle Coherence reviews from users
Find out what your peers are saying about Oracle, VMware, Software AG and others in Database Development and Management. Updated: June 2021.
509,570 professionals have used our research since 2012.