Oracle Coherence Review

Clustering allows us to scale by creating more and more nodes. They do fail a lot, especially because of timeouts caused by node synchronization.

What is most valuable?

One of the features that is greatly used by us is clustering, as it allows us to scale easier by creating more and more nodes.

How has it helped my organization?

Coherence has helped us to drastically reduce the request time of our web applications.

What needs improvement?

Documentation and community support is the first area with room for improvement. Then, an easier configuration mechanism wouldn’t hurt. And also debugging and error management.

I have used it for two years.

We have encountered stability issues. We have nodes failing all the time, especially because of timeouts caused by node synchronization, but occasionally there are also memory-related errors.

We have encountered scalability issues. Currently, we have multiple clusters of six nodes each. At one point, we tried to scale to 12 nodes. We started to have a lot of nodes crashing, most probably because of all the node chatter.

I would say technical support is a 4/10.

I did not previously use a different solution, but if we would do the application from ground zero, we would, most probably, choose Hazelcast.

Initial setup is somehow complex, as you have to configure the hosts that will hold the Coherence nodes, every cache that you set up and all of the domain classes to be used for serialization.

Look into the direction of open-source solutions.

Before choosing this product, I did not evaluate other options, because our company has a “Use Oracle Products” policy.

What other advice do I have?

Look attentively at other NoSQL solutions, and if they really need a caching solution, then look at Hazelcast.

More Oracle Coherence reviews from users