Oracle Coherence Review

Grid calculations decreased response times in B2B operations. It provides high availability, integrates with WebLogic and offers distributed calculation.

What is most valuable?

High availability, distributed calculation features, and WebLogic integration are the most valuable features to me.

How has it helped my organization?

It decreased response times in B2B operations thanks to the grid calculations.

What needs improvement?

IDEs support and hot deployment have room for improvement.

I have used Oracle Coherence for four years.

I did not encounter any stability issues.

The scalability issue I encountered was that it costs a lot!

The technical support was excellent.

I did not use a different solution before Oracle Coherence. My company was using Memcached before I started working there, but I always used Coherence.

Initial setup was complex because we integrated GAR files in EAR files. We were one of the first customers who were building the cluster, along with the business logic, and deploying everything together in a single operation. We got a complete step-by-step to cover our needs from the post-sales engineering team.

The product is the best, but it's absurdly expensive because licensing is according to the number of CPUs. The only advice I can give is to purchase specific hardware with a few CPUs that are as fast as possible, and with a lot of memory.

We evaluated Memcached, Redis, and Infinispan.

What other advice do I have?

Learn distributed computing first. It's not worth using only as a key-value cache. If interrupted business operations is an important consideration, think about deploying the grid along with an application in WebLogic instead of building a separate and independent cluster.

12c
More Oracle Coherence reviews from users
Find out what your peers are saying about Oracle, VMware, Software AG and others in Database Development and Management. Updated: July 2021.
523,372 professionals have used our research since 2012.