Oracle Coherence Review

Improves our organization by reducing response times to extremely small latencies in apps

What is most valuable?

Near cache and the ability to implement various strategies, like write-behind and read-through cache.

How has it helped my organization?

Basically reducing response times to extremely small latencies in their apps.

What needs improvement?

The Java interface for loading data through the cache from the database was pretty basic. Also, the process of packaging all dependencies to do were rudimentary.

I started using Oracle Coherence in 2008. I have been using the most recent version for six month with two clients (in the banking and cosmetic industries).

None.

None, but there is a considerable important challenge with record versioning and serialization that needs upfront care decisioning.

We just had an issue running Coherence over Solaris containers. Nothing that actually prevented it to run, but the support was standard support quality from Oracle.

Not before, but after Coherence, we had the chance to work for years with Hazelcast. It's an open source and a cheaper competitor.

Very easy. The XML config files were clear how to configure.

Price is very high - as for any Oracle product.

None. I work as a Oracle partner, so there is no way to consider other options.

What other advice do I have?

Do good decisions on serialization and versioning of objects and don't rely on it as the sole source of data, no matter how much energy output it takes to keep its cluster up and running. Rolling out updates can be challenging if you have to write-behind in place. For example, you need to be able to identify that there is nothing waiting before a full shutdown.

**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Oracle Partners.
More Oracle Coherence reviews from users