Oracle Data Guard Review

What is our primary use case?

Data focus is the main issue. Most of the features of a new database still go to an Oracle administration section.

How has it helped my organization?

The monitor can predict if you have any issues or develop actions to find a solution for them.

What is most valuable?

We use the product for data recovery.

What needs improvement?

There is always room for improvement. This product needs some improvement in administration. I would love to see something that makes monitoring much easier.

The product needs some of the GUI tools so there is no need for all the long process.

I have been using the Oracle Data Guard ( /products/oracle-data-guard-reviews ) for 14 years.

Oracle Data Guard is stable, but you need to keep monitoring the system all the time. You need to keep monitoring the archives. If some of the archives have been deleted, you need to do it manually. It is a lot of work pressure and a lot of monitoring.

You need to do the dummy work every day just to ensure that Oracle Data Guard is working at the point when you need it.

Scalability with Oracle Data Guard is not straightforward, i.e. the configuration.

We use two different kinds in that case of data guard. You cannot keep looking at the overhead of the projection servers. Oracle Data Guard should know what you are doing. This is the problem. For migrations, it can be a long time.

For Oracle tech support, you do it yourself. When you open a ticket, it can take time to solve it. Often you can find a bug that went unreported.

The initial setup is straightforward. Just follow the documentation. For our present situation, it was dependent on the project and the database files.

Sometimes the setup took one day, sometimes only one hour. It was depending on the size of the database. It could be very fast for me.

I did the implementation of Oracle Data Guard by myself.

Oracle Data Guard is a free solution. When you apply for Enterprise Manager, it comes for free with the solution. When you apply an enterprise solution to a database, you have to pay. It depends on the connotation of the project and what you need for the protocol.

What other advice do I have?

Keep monitoring. This is the problem with the product. You have to keep monitoring the system all the time, just to avoid the interruption from the archive mode.

I am going to give Oracle Data Guard a seven out of ten. It still needs improvements. When you are doing the troubleshooting there are no monitoring tools. You have to keep watching the log all the time. Also, for the configuration, if you miss one of the backlogs, you have to re-issue again. Re-issuing is not easy. It's a long process to do it.

More Oracle Data Guard reviews from users
...who compared it with IBM ProtectTIER
1 Comment

author avatarOracledb677 (Oracle DBA Customer Capacity Leader at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees)
Top 20Real User

I don't quite agree with "you have to keep monitoring the system all the time". Monitoring is just part of any Oracle database or system. You implement monitoring of your databases with Cloud Control and that automatically includes Data Guard monitoring. If you define your monitoring templates and incident rules in Cloud Control appropriately, the monitoring work will all be done by Oracle, not you. You can configure Cloud Control to send a mail to you whenever there a Data Guard problem, or have an incident created, or have a text sent to DBA team, or a corrective action fired, etc. Monitoring should not be a burden! However, troubleshooting DG whenever there is a problem can be more tricky. But most of time a simple "disable configuration; enable configuration;" solves synchronization problems.

We created an interactive script to create a Data Guard. Therefore, the time required to create a DG is roughly the time needed to clone the primary database. The script does everything, including changing files tnsnames.ora, listener.ora, etc. Invest some time in scripting and creating Data Guard databases will become as easy as creating a standalone database.