Oracle Data Guard Review

An excellent disaster recovery solution that's very stable

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for disaster recovery.

What needs improvement?

Once you get used to it, you get to know what to do when certain things happen. However, for a person who's just jumping into it, the management of it and how to implement it probably would be something that could be improved upon. The GUI could be better.

I've been using the solution for two years.

The solution is really very stable. One good thing about it, compared to other products, is that you can just run it and forget about it. Unless you come across some interruptions in the network, it works like a charm.

When you are using an Oracle product you get Oracle support. The support that we received has been good. There were no issues on that front.

We previously used an SQL server.

The implementation is complex for anyone who's jumping into it without any experience. It's all command-line driven implementations. For some, that's a turn-off.

Most of the time taken during deployment was for the restoration of the backup. We chose the backup methods because our DR was across the VPN and the speed for which to make the online backup was too small. Instead, we took the backup from the source and just copied over to the target and then stored it there. That particular process took time. Other than that, the deployment docs for Data Guard made everything pretty quick. It took maybe an hour, or an hour and a half.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment model.

I would rate the solution eight out of ten. I'd rate it higher if the GUI was better, but it's a very stable solution.

For disaster recovery, I think this is one of the best native Oracle products that you could use, provided you have the Enterprise edition.

12C
More Oracle Data Guard reviews from users
...who compared it with IBM ProtectTIER
Learn what your peers think about Oracle Data Guard. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
457,209 professionals have used our research since 2012.
1 Comment

author avatarOracledb677 (Oracle DBA Customer Capacity Leader at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees)
Top 10Real User

Instead of using a backup to restore the standby database I suggest to use the "duplicate from active database" option. You can define the number of channels to be used and therefore limit the bandwidth used, reducing the risk of having too much network resources used during the clone. Or you can increase the number of channels to have the clone completed faster. The great advantage is that no matter how long it takes to complete the clone, your primary database continues working fine while you duplicate your database. When the restore completes, the recovery is automatically applied and your standby database is synchronized with the primary database, being ready to have the Data Guard configuration created.