Oracle Data Guard Review

Has high availability but could be cheaper

What is most valuable?

We use Data Guard for online replication from data center to data center for high availability. This is the most important feature.

What needs improvement?

I'm not really sure about what needs improvement because we use all Data Guard's features successfully.

Pricing is expensive and can use improvement.

I have been using Oracle Data Guard for about eight years.

Over the course of eight years, I do think this solution is very stable.

It is scalable.

We also use Active Data Guard. We use it to clone the production environment. We constantly use it.

I have contacted their support. We have been using their support more. We open cases one to five times a month. We use a lot of Oracle databases and because of that, we contact their support a lot.

The quality of support will depend on the support engineer. If we speak to an agent from the Asian department, it could be a little difficult to understand the terminology. If it's with somebody from the US, Canada, or Europe, they're easier to understand.

We also use a real application cluster rack database. I have experience with IBM.

The initial setup was not complex. At first, many years back it was complex, but it's getting easier to set up in the last couple of years. It's been easier in the last few years and has been easier than past versions.

We had somebody help us with the deployment.

What other advice do I have?

It is a very useful administrative IT tool. It saves on costs.

I strongly recommend Data Guard. I've been using it for eight years and I would strongly recommend it.

I'd rate Oracle Data Guard a seven out of ten. To make it a ten, the core base license could be cheaper. The cloud environment would also make it cheaper.

More Oracle Data Guard reviews from users