Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) Review

The client can be configured so that Excel data can automatically be pumped into Oracle Forms directly. It requires a client, which I don't think is the best way to go about connecting data.

Valuable Features:

I'm not very comfortable with ODI, but it is one of the Oracle product that we use. I know the interfaces and that it's used for financials. The ODI client can be configured so that Excel data can automatically be pumped into Oracle Forms directly.

Room for Improvement:

It requires a client, which I don't think is the best way to go about connecting data. Basically, you need to establish a connectivity between the client and the database, so when you launch something through Reports, in can be shown in the Excel.

Also, I think they should have something like Google Docs, where an engine opens up a document directly instead of having to depend on a client for connectivity. That would make working with it much more efficient and better.

Deployment Issues:

If you are applying it on more clients, it becomes a thick client because to have the client installed, it needs memory from the desktops. This slows down deployment.

Stability Issues:

If it has a client that demands more thick clients than thin clients, that means that you need to give more memory and more CPU for your desktops that are also using those same resources.

Scalability Issues:

We haven't had problems with scaling it.

Initial Setup:

I wasn't involved in the implementation, but I haven't heard that it was particularly complex.

Implementation Team:

I believe we implemented it with our in-house team.