Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) Review

Able to develop transformations more rapidly than other solutions, such as Informatica.

Valuable Features

The product separates business logic (data mapping) from how data moves from source to target. A Knowledge Module defines the steps to move data from an Oracle DB to SQL Server for example, leaving only the transformation logic for the developer to define. This results in an ability develop transformations more rapidly than say Informatica.

Improvements to My Organization

We spend much less time developing integrations because all we need to focus on is the business logic.

Room for Improvement

The user interface is a little slow. When compared to Informatica, the UI is more intuitive, but because it is Java based, it does hang at times. This can be tuned, but it is something that could be streamlined.

Use of Solution

I've been using it for over five years.

There were no issues with the deployment.

We have had no issues with the stability.

It's been able to scale for our needs.

It is adequate.

It is adequate.

I have used a number of ETL tools. I like this one because it is part of Oracle Business Intelligence applications which is my primary focus. I would choose it over Informatica because you can develop more rapidly.

It was straightforward as the installation is fairly easy and well documented.

Other Advice

As with all software, read the installation guide cover to cover before you start.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are platinum partners with Oracle.