Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) Review

The designer tab shows the operator, topology and security workflow together and you can access them at the same time without any problems.

Valuable Features

In my opinion the notable difference between ODI 10 and ODI 11 is the possibility to keep multiple interfaces open at the same time. This makes it very comfortable to work with. Another technical feature that I like, is the possibility to create a dataset. This is the Oracle set operator inside the interfaces such as UNION, INTERSECT, MINUS. It has a friendly interface where you can see all tools very clearly because the designer tab shows the operator, topology and security workflow together and you can access them at the same time without any problems.

Improvements to My Organization

With ODI 11, I have spent time developing different interfaces at the same time instead of developing them one by one. ODI doesn't have an interpretable language in its architecture, so if you know Oracle you can write mapping SQL statements that you need for getting the data. This allows you me to have a greater adaptability.

Room for Improvement

I would like more different tools of transformation. In the current version I have only worked with lookup and filter, and sometimes is not good enough for what I use it for.

Use of Solution

I've been using it for seven months.

There were no issues with the deployment.

We had issues with the early versions but lately the product is performing well.

It's been able to scale for our needs.

Oracle provides good support for this tool.

The initial implementation was simple, and there are no issues to report.

Other Solutions Considered

I tried PowerCenter a few months before Oracle Data Integrator. I wanted to try the Oracle ETL to compare it with the tools of PowerCenter.

Other Advice

ODI is a great ETL tool that you can use for implementation. It’s not complicated to use, and with knowledge of SQL and PLSQL you can customize it a lot.