Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) Review

We use it with BI Apps, with which it is bundled.

Valuable Features

The most valuable feature is that it's bundled with all the other Oracle products. We use the ODI with BI Apps. It does all the ELT along with our data warehouse for BI purposes. That’s good. It comes as a bundled package. If we want to use the newest, latest version, we can install it separately.

It's very user friendly. We used to use Informatica; compared to that, it's easier.

Improvements to My Organization

The learning curve is a little less because if you are already in the ELT business, you know how it works. Overall, it's good.

Room for Improvement

I would like to see them make some more improvements on the troubleshooting side, to help with the troubleshooting because right now, the errors are not very clear. I think they are already working on it; it's in the latest release, but yet to be included in the BI Apps bundle.

It is still not as stable as the old BI Apps and ELT tools were, but it's getting there. BI Apps doesn't come with the latest ODI yet, but in the future, it might be better.

It works with Oracle Fusion, so it can be spread across the cluster. It's pretty scalable.

Technical support is good. That's the standard. It's good.

We upgraded because the old version was no longer supported. The new version comes with ODI, so we didn't have a choice. But, we like the product.

It didn’t come with any other option. However, even if we had another option, we would have gone with Oracle, because we are a big Oracle shop.

Initial setup is straightforward. If you are from a technical background, it's pretty straightforward.

Other Solutions Considered

We didn't actually look at anyone else. We looked at different Oracle partners who provided this software, but the product was Oracle from the start.

Other Advice

We learned some lessons, such as how to plan out the entire process, and so on. Oracle documentation is good. If you follow that, you should be fine.

When I’m choosing a vendor such as Oracle, support is the most important criteria.