Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) Review

Extracts, transforms and loads the data, does the job for us

What is most valuable?

It is an ETL tool, which does the extract, transform, and load.

What needs improvement?

At this point we are seeing what we need, so I don't know if there is anything, any big improvements that are needed. This is basically just transforming and loading the data. It's doing its job.

I rate it a seven out of 10 because there is room for growth because ODI is still new, in comparison to Informatica, which is a mature product.

We have been using it now for two years.

So far it has provided what we need, it's working fine.

It's scalable. Right now, we have a pilot project that we started with ODI, which went fine. We will be ramping that up for the other integrations and hopefully that will all go fine.

I think the support at Oracle is tremendous. We have a whole stack of Oracle products and the support with Oracle has always been very good.

We chose ODI because we have the Oracle Stack and we wanted to be in the Oracle space. We wanted a tool that will work long-term for Oracle, so that's why we chose ODI.

All ODI, all the ETL tools, they have mappings and knowledge bases and the like. Based on that, I don't think it is too complicated. It is fine. There is a learning curve, but this is going to be orchestrated by IT, not by business users, so I think it's fine.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend the ODI. The reason is that now Oracle, after a long time, has put its weight behind an ETL tool, which is ODI, and so Oracle is going to stand behind it, which means that it has a long life. That's another reason which we chose it.

Informatica is a gold standard in ETL and, before ODI, Informatica used to be the king of the ETL. Now, because Oracle is putting its weight behind this tool we think that, long-term, ODI will have a better future. When we had the option of choosing an ETL tool, we went with ODI because we wanted to choose something for the long-term.

1 Comment
GaryMReal UserTOP 5POPULAR

Why do you think Oracle will support ODI long term any more than their prior ETL tools such as OWB or the tool they bought in the 1990s from Sagent, both of which are gone now?

Some history for you....ODI used to be a weird combination of two completely different tools - OWB which was just a PlSql generator and ODI that came from the Hyperion acquisition which ironically actually originally used Informatica and SqlServer (when Hyperion was doing it) but I know Oracle was frantically trying to re-write all that....is it still a consolidation of 2 desperate tools or now pretty much integrated?

04 January 19