Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) Review

The user interface is the most valuable feature. It is intuitive.

What is most valuable?

The user interface for the data integrator tool is probably the most valuable piece. I'm a relatively newcomer to the ODI. We opted to use ODI instead of Informatica. Relatively, I do not have a lot experience with a lot of VARs, but I've been able to understand a lot more about the direction Oracle is heading through the tool. It was very intuitive. It helps to have a good background in data manipulation, but it's very intuitive and has given a good appreciation of what the tool can do.

How has it helped my organization?

We use ODI to extract and transform data to load into our data warehouse from our source system, which is Oracle EBS. We have found that it's very efficient; very fast. We can easily customize and review even out-of-the-box analytics that came with Oracle. We’re able to easily go in and modify and correct any anomalies that we have.

What needs improvement?

Perhaps more learning resources related to ODI would be helpful. I'm not sure if that's what restricted the buy-in. Even though the product has been out for 4-5 years, there are still a lot of people who aren't using it or have opted to stay with Informatica. It could be because there aren't enough self-study or self-research resources related to the product. That surely could be improved in the near term.

We've had it implemented for two years.

Any stability issues I've had, have been related to the data itself. It really depends on how whomever has implemented the product. If it stands up, it works well.

We get very good and very timely response from technical support. Maybe, we just don't have very complicated questions, but we get very, very good response; very quick answers.

We decided to move away from Informatica after we attended an Oracle conference about three years ago. We learned a lot more about where Oracle was going with it. One of the key reasons was not just moving forward with the newer technology; it was also because of the compatibility with the applications we use versus the applications that were available in Infomatica.

We have the capability to extend it to other data sources, all of the non-standard data sources. We don't have to build out huge data structures in order to feed them in through Infomatica. We can read Excel spreadsheets and a bunch of other sources.

As a customer to a consultant team, I was involved in the installation and deployment of ODI. There were some challenges, which was probably due to the relative inexperience of the team that handled it. Eventually, they were able to get through it. Fortunately, my internal team as costumers were also able to do our research and participate in that discovery, too.

What other advice do I have?

You would have to evaluate what your key purpose is, and your existing, internal talent and experience. It's my belief that you should always try to have internal talent that is very confident, rather than having to always rely on consultants. If your talent has the experience in Infomatica – I don't think Infomatica is going anywhere – then it might be the best choice for you. I don’t think your office will fall apart. I think you have to evaluate which one will work for you.

We were new customers to data integration, so we decided to go with newer technology that had already come from the same source.