Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) Review

I like being able to schedule jobs, especially when they're multi-step.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is being able to schedule the jobs, especially when they're multi-step.

How has it helped my organization?

I don't know why we have different database environments, but we do. The business wants the data to be collected in one place, so they can do reporting and so on.

What needs improvement?

I don't know if this is because of us or because of the tool, but sometimes I had a problem with the agent getting held up. I would come in and my jobs would be failing. Now I have implemented a script to bounce the agent nightly and this problem no longer occurs.

Now that I am balancing my agent, it's been running for 2-3 months without any issues. It's been pretty stable. Prior to that, the agent was falling. I was having to check it all the time to see if the jobs ran.

One other thing that I would like to be improved – it might just be me, probably user error – is when I try to set up the feature to have it email me the notifications of what happened; I haven't been able to figure that out. I set it up but I don't get an email when it does fail.

When I initially set it up, I did open several tickets with Oracle support. I'm going to give them a middle-of-the-road rating. There were a couple of tickets where I just closed and said, "Forget it". I found a workaround; I did it a different way. There were a couple of tickets where I got really helpful people and I was very happy.

Probably because of user error – as I’ve mentioned, I had no prior experience with it – my first attempt was a bust. I was fortunate enough that I worked someplace where they sent me to training. The second time around was very easy; maybe the training was what I needed. For somebody like me, I recommend training first.

I think some people have that ability to just look online. I thought I followed all the instructions, and it would not work. It might help that, the second time around, I used the more up-to-date version. I know they change things on the install process sometimes. Second time easy; first time headache.

When I came on board, I believe we had already purchased the licensing for this. I got to be the lucky person to implement it.

What other advice do I have?

Good luck. I do think the training was beneficial but I know everybody doesn't have that as an option. If you do have the option to do some training, I think that could be a really big help; it helped me.

I don't feel like I am fully utilizing it but based on the things I do use, once you get the hang of it, it's a pretty cool data integration tool.

More Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about Oracle Data Integrator (ODI). Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,946 professionals have used our research since 2012.