Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) Review

What is most valuable?

The ODI topology and designer are the most valuable features. The topology gives me total freedom in switching between technologies / ETL agents. The mapping designer gives me a good graphical overview of ETL mappings.

How has it helped my organization?

The speed in which we create/generate our ETL mappings has increased by at least a factor of four as compared to Oracle Warehouse Builder.

What needs improvement?

Overall performance needs improvement. Especially when running ODI clients on Windows desktops. ODI seems to generate a lot of network traffic.

ODI Studio can be very slow. Objects (mappings, packages, tables, etc.) can take minutes to open for editing when you are running ODI Studio on a Windows client when you have your repository database running on a server. It gets even worse when you are working on the same repository with multiple developers, which is not uncommon. :) The solution to this problem is running the ODI Studio in a virtual desktop on the same database server.

I have used it for over two years.

Migrating from 12.1.2 to 12.1.3 did not go as smooth as it should.

Sometimes the ODI agent shows running in WebLogic (middleware), while it cannot be reached by the ODI clients.

More than six or seven developers working in the same repository is the maximum.

Oracle support does not always seem to deliver. At one time during the migration of 12.1.2 to 12.1.3, we had issues taking over six months to resolve.

We previously used Oracle Warehouse Builder, which was discontinued by Oracle. Oracle Data Integrator is Oracle's strategic choice for ETL tooling going forward. We could not risk running out of support. That is why we had to buy licenses for Oracle Data Integrator (whereas Oracle Warehouse Builder came free with the Oracle database - until version 11.2).

The initial setup is really not straightforward. You really have to think about the architecture in which you want to use ODI (i.e., agent(s), repository setup, topology). But this makes the software as flexible as it can be.

As with all Oracle products, you need a licensing specialist to look at your needs.

We considered moving forward with Oracle Warehouse Builder, but dismissed OWB because it was running out of support.

We also considered Informatica PowerCenter, but it seemed to be even more expensive an option than ODI. With ODI, we could still use some of the present Oracle skills (mapping design), so the learning curve seemed less steep compared to Informatica.

What other advice do I have?

• Think about the architecture in which you are going to use ODI very well.
  • Think about where to place an agent and, if possible, put your ODI repository as close to this agent as possible.
  • If possible, run your agent closer to the target than to the source.
  • Try splitting up your repository into multiple work repositories for groups of developers of no more than five developers.

12.1.3
More Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) reviews from users
Learn what your peers think about Oracle Data Integrator (ODI). Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,281 professionals have used our research since 2012.
3 Comments

author avatarit_user417591 (System Architect at GAVB)

Michael, I really satisfied reading your post. I've been working ODI for along years and I agree with all points here. I had some issues migrating to 12.2 as well, in our team we have +30 developers using ODI. Thanks for shared your experience with us, I believe that your project is in a good way.

Cheers, Fabio.

author avatarit_user485409 (Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees)
MSP

the real challenge in ODI is the migration which is a real pain and you dont know how to resolve this.

I expect Oracle to be little expressive on the ability of journalizaion and CDC.

author avatarAlan Yves
Top 10Consultant

I totally agree with the points you mentioned.