Oracle Data Integrator (ODI) Review

Besides loading data, we do most of our transformations in it. However, the stability of the software could be improved.

What is our primary use case?

We use ODI to integrate data from the OLTP database to the data warehouse. The source database systems including Oracle, MySQL, flat files... Our business background is OTA and the total data is about 100T.

How has it helped my organization?

In our DW/BI solution, ODI is the main tool to integrate the data as a daily batch. Besides loading data, we do most of our transformations in ODI. ODI is quick to use.

What is most valuable?

Most of the functions are very straightforward, like the data model, mapping, package, and load plan. Thus, a new user could get started very fast.

What needs improvement?

The ODI scheduler for agent sometime fails with no sign, which impact the ETL solution severely.

The property window in the ODI studio always does not refresh as it should.

Sometimes, the mapping or package automatically gets edited.

The stability of the ODI studio is not strong enough. It crashes occasionally.

Informatica and SSIS are also good ETL tools besides ODI.

The installation of the client tool: ODI studio is easy.

Basically the ETL tools is determined by the database.

1 visitor found this review helpful
3 Comments
Brian DandeneauConsultantTOP 5POPULAR

What portion of ODI crashes? This sounds like an infrastructure issue rather then a tool issue.

07 May 18
Dava Wang(汪燊)Real UserTOP 5LEADERBOARD

Hi Brian, we face an annoying issue that the ODI agent scheduler fails. We use a standalone agent installation. Sometimes, the scheduler crashes while the agent is still working. And we couldn't find a good way to check the scheduler status and make it back to normal. Any idea about this?

14 September 18
Brian DandeneauConsultantTOP 5POPULAR

Check the java heap size in the ODI params file to keep it from failing.
To the issue: You should be able to set the status in the operator to success. Without seeing what is happening that’s all I can offer. I would be happy to setup a quick session to dig in. I offer one free session per client a year.

17 September 18