Oracle Data Masking and Subsetting Review

Stable with good support but the single-sign on could be improved

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for data masking. In order to confirm that the data was good, we added a lot of data modeling to ensure the quality. Once that was confirmed, it could be added to the dictionary glossary that needed to be maintained.

What is most valuable?

This solution delivers the value that it is supposed to deliver. It met the needs of the enterprise.

It's a solid product.

What needs improvement?

Once the data masking was complete, we were not confident that the data was good. A lot of data modeling needed to be added to make sure that the quality of the data was satisfactory.

The definition phase was very slow, but that was due to a lack of knowledge that the client had. We were fortunate to locate the correct resources. Finding the correct resources on the market is a problem. We were very fortunate.

Some of the issues we were experiencing were with setting up the single sign-on in the beginning.

There are not a lot of templates available to use, so we had to start many things from scratch. It wasn't difficult but I would have preferred it. They may have already improved or added more, as it's been a year from when we needed it. Generally speaking, I would like to see more templates available.

I have been using this solution for three years.

It's a stable solution.

The client had niche requirements and we were not a part of the operation of the product, but I don't believe there were any issues with scalability.

At the time of the setup, the team that we had were the ones who dealt with technical support. They were pleased with the outcome. They were able to move things around. It took them approximately half of a sprint to get the things that they were not estimated, which was a couple of hours.

The initial setup was not as easy as we thought it would be, but we had the right people and were able to complete it.

What other advice do I have?

The initial setup depends on the client's needs and it will differ from client to client. Most are not looking for on-premises solutions. Rather, they are looking for cloud-based solutions. If they decide that they want to sacrifice the ability to connect it to the cloud, we would need to download the data and make it available in a local drive to be able to digest it.

Our client had security concerns and didn't want to use a proxy.

It's possible that they have already migrated to the cloud.

For our client's needs, it would be rated a nine out of ten, but for me personally, I feel that there are several products on the market that can connect to many other resources.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

12C
Find out what your peers are saying about Oracle, IBM, Compuware and others in Data Masking. Updated: July 2021.
521,637 professionals have used our research since 2012.