Oracle Data Relationship Management Review

It provides a central place to maintain hierarchies that are pushed to multiple applications.

What is most valuable?

• Management of metadata for multiple downstream applications
  • Ability to add complex business logic so that attributes get assigned automatically

How has it helped my organization?

Having a central place to maintain hierarchies that are pushed to multiple applications reduces the headache of the business user chasing their tail trying to figure out what the difference is. Since you have hierarchies centrally maintained, everyone is working from the same starting point.

What needs improvement?

The last area that needed to be improved has gone through major renovations with the latest release. DRM now comes with a workflow capability that rivals most workflow that you have to pay for separately if you use other metadata applications.

If you hard-code values into the properties, you'll get customer complaints that DRM is "running slow."

I've been using it for 10 years.

We haven't had issues with deployment since 11.1.2.4. When the product was 11.1.1, we had some issue but those, again, have been taken care of.

DRM is one of the most stable metadata applications if, as with any other tool, you use it correctly. Don't hard-code values into the properties as this is the largest culprit of customers saying that DRM is "running slow."

Another stability issue is what we call "cliff hierarchies" where you have a parent node and an excessive number of children. Once you get to a number of children that doesn't fit on a screen, maybe it's time to add another parent to break up that section of the hierarchy.

They only issue that I have had with scalability was when a client insisted having SKU-level information in DRM. DRM is not a SKU-level tool, so please use the proper Oracle tools to manage at that level.

DRM customer service is top notch since it is a small set of people that use it. The people who answer the questions are knowledgeable.

Technical support is top notch. I have never had an SR come to the point of, "I don't know how to fix this issue." It's always, "here is a workaround" and/ or "we will have the patch shortly."

Most people move from a home-grown Java process. We made the switch because the person who originally created the process was leaving or had left the company or planned to retire, putting them in a high-risk position.

Just follow the prompts for the basic setup. The API is slightly more complex, but if you need help, just look at the admin guide.

I have installed and upgraded both in-house and with a vendor. Honestly, if you have a good DBA who can read and make themselves knowledgeable with the product, you will be OK with the basic install and setup. When it comes to more advanced setup, that's when you need a vendor.

This is a pay-by-node software, so it really depends on you corporation.

What other advice do I have?

DRM is an all-around great solution for managing your metadata. It not only gets all your hierarchies in one central location, it also gets your business more involved with the management of metadata.