Oracle Data Relationship Management Review

All your hierarchy/metadata information can be accessed and maintained in one central location.

What is our primary use case?

You have multiple hierarchies and downstream applications that need to be kept in sync. There is a need for alternative hierarchies and customization of the outputs to the downstream applications.

How has it helped my organization?

Have you ever been in those Governance meetings that are always to long already and always run over that obnoxiously long time? I have. I just got through implementing the workflow in DRM at a client that this issue was prominent at. People were not showing up to meeting because they simply didn't have FOUR hours to burn in a meeting where most of the time was spent looking for missing approvals and supporting documents.

Implementing the workflow portion of DRM which is called Data Relationship Governance(DRG) the client cut that time down to an hour. This brought attendance to a all time high of 100% participation, this also meant that they had time to talk about more important things like the what was going on in the company, bringing them closer together and more efficient as a team.

What is most valuable?

What makes DRM valuable to a Company? Well, Its Agnostic! That right, sure it has some direct integrations with some specific EPM tools, which are super sweet, but it can write directly to a Database table, File, or even XML. Imagine a life where all your hierarchy/metadata information is can be accessed and maintained in one central location. Wouldn't that be great!

Automation is handled by a very simple batch script, which if variables are done properly are super flexible and will reduce maintenance.

The ability to customized properties in DRM help went adding new member to the hierarchy. Lets say you have an organizational hierarchy and you get a new employee. Just think of some of the things that you could Dictate about that employee biased on what his manager is? Have you thought about all the manual things that you are going to have to define about him or her? What if I told you that you could create properties that when you add an employee it would tag that said employee with all of that information. Now this is a interesting example of how DRM can work, but its not limited to your employees. Think about your down stream applications. Do those applications have a hierarchy? Yes

What needs improvement?

The only area that I could see that DRM could need improvement is well...nothing. Knowing where DRM/MDM/Razza/BankOne came from, I like it just the way it is.

Still implementing.

They only time that we had issues with Stability was back when it was 11.1.1, since going to 11.1.2 the stability has been outstanding.

DRM is a metadata tool, however I have seen companies try to put information that DRM was never intended to manage. That would be the only scalability problem that you would have. Basically know the person implementing it. make sure they are asking all the right questions.

Oracle customer service it top notch.

When you need tech support you will get someone knowledgable.

Database tables. Switched to DRM to save time, frustration, Money

Initial setup is very straight forward, just follow the wizard.

Vendor team. DRM needs a person with some expertise to make sure that you aren't creating something that is unmanageable. DRM comes with very little actually in it. Mostly custom.

The ROI will be a few years. DRM/DRG is really expensive. There are other options out there for less money and you get more. EPMware comes to mind they have an unlimited node count and direct connections to up and downstream systems.

DRM can be a little bit expensive. Negotiate with the sales person and hold out of a reasonable price.

I did but that was a long time ago so I don't remember what other tools were in the running.

What other advice do I have?

Design before you build. Take everything into consideration. Implement DRM and force your business users to get involved in the conversations as they are going to be the people entering information into DRM or DRG.

Give those Business users the power to do what they should be able to, they do know the most about the business anyway.