Oracle Database Appliance Review

Has drastically reduced the amount of processing time from seven days to one day

What is most valuable?

I use Oracle databases with multiple clients mainly for analyzing financial transactions. They use it to find the profit and loss for each and every day of trading activity.

Finding out out a single day's profit and loss used to take them almost seven days to calculate. For example, if they wanted to find out something new, they could find the profit and loss of the day's data only by the following week. So we introduced Oracle Database Appliance for the extra data and to gather all the information we have across all the systems. We built a warehouse database that will accommodate all the information and we reduced the time to determine the entire transactions of P and L into a single day.

The Oracle database is able to get the data, process it, and return it to the company's CEO's and CFO's within a single day, and thus they are able to find out yesterday's P and L by today. It has drastically reduced the amount and time of processing from seven days to one day. This is our main use for Oracle. The business intelligence and data warehousing features are the best part of Oracle Database Appliance.

What needs improvement?

It could be that we may not be using Oracle and GoldenGate in the way we are supposed to be using them. We have faced a couple of issues with GoldenGate. Whenever we have issues, the Oracle support will take the time to understand how GoldenGate works. The stability of the GoldenGate could be improved, although it is pretty stable.

In terms of Database Appliance, the important thing is how you design it. If the underlying design is good, then Oracle will perform exactly how we want it to perform. But if the underlying design or the underlying architecture is bad, then Oracle is not going to give the expert the results he needs. It all depends upon the developer who designs it. I haven't seen any drawback with the Oracle database assets, and for the past five years I've been using it in our team.

In terms of what can be improved, I'd say Artificial Intelligence, AI. It would be really helpful if AI was incorporated into the solution.

On a scale of one to ten, I would rate Oracle Database Appliance an eight.

I've been using Oracle Database Appliance for five years. I moved to AWS Cloud Platform and now we are migrating the Oracle appliances to the Cloud Platform, which is an AWS platform as a service.

Oracle Database Appliance is really reliable. The stability and scalability of Oracle Database are reliable. I would say that it is more reliable than scalable. With the 19c, I've seen that it is stable in most cases but we had certain issues when we tried to create scale on 12c. We had issues when we used the previous, older version of Oracle, 12c. It was not that easy to use 12c because we had to get certain hardware.

In terms of scalability, it is not bad. It was not that easy to scale. I don't think it's easily scalable.

I think more than 400 or 600 people are using it in the company.

Their technical support is really good. It has really good products and I'm pretty satisfied.

The initial setup of Database Appliance is straightforward. But It depends upon the applications that you're using.

If you want to use it on top of the database, it's going to be straightforward. But if you want to do it at some other part of the process the third party client has to do an APA call. It depends upon the way they implement it. If it's going to be a third party vendor using it he'll have to make APA calls, then it's going to be a bit complex.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Oracle Database Appliance. Oracle is the benchmark in the field. Still, I would recommend you doing a proof of concept with Oracle Database first and then consider the other databases.

Private Cloud
More Oracle Database Appliance reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with Apache Hadoop
Learn what your peers think about Oracle Database Appliance. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
456,249 professionals have used our research since 2012.