Oracle Database as a Service Review

Reduced the number of traditional storage/server architecture

What is most valuable?

• Resource elasticity
  • Rapid provisioning
  • Automated centralized management of all DBs
  • Measured services, etc.

How has it helped my organization?

• Technically, apart from the cost reduction, it reduces the administration overheads.
  • Scale-up and scale-down resources, as per the demand to ensure the major business, do not impact performance issues.

What needs improvement?

• Reduce the licensing cost further.
  • Stronger security

Over one year now.

Challenges faced when migrating the on-premise database to cloud, especially VLDBs.

Mostly with the internet availability and speed. Nothing really with the stability of the DBaaS.

Not anything we have come across.

Satisfactory.

Satisfactory.

Most of the DEV/UAT/TEST were on-premises, which moved to the cloud with consolidation.

There were technical challenges configuring the connectivity, moving the data, etc.

Installation was through a vendor.

Reduced the number of traditional storage/server architecture. More productivity and quick provisioning of the database helped moving the application to production quickly.

Oracle licensing is expensive compared to other competitors, such as AWS and MS Azure.

Yes. AWS and MS Azure.

What other advice do I have?

Any DEV/UAT/TEST environments are really candidates to go for cloud and ensure you fully utilize the flexibility of cloud technologies.