Oracle Database as a Service Review

Easy to manage and good performance

What is our primary use case?

We usually use the on-premise version, but we have also implemented it on the cloud in three or four projects.

Our primary use case is probably with regards to the ease of management. It actually reduces the cost of the databases. Also, the storage cases we are dealing with are different. It is not just the client. We also use Database as a Service.

How has it helped my organization?

it's save a lot of time, there are no need for example to senior DBA to manage the database which is saved money include to that, this is what we touch in the company.

What is most valuable?

One of the key features is Oracle Database as a Service. We chose to implement it as a service, which provides good performance, for example. Flexibility and other features let us implement database research with the SQL team range of features also.

You can meet your principle DevOps needs for scaling.

What needs improvement?

The direct scaling is a feature that has room for improvement. I would like to see virtual management machines that can scale storage well with zero downtime. The backup option and patching would then be much easier to do.

I would also like to implement CDI with Database as a Service.

There is also room for improvement with regards to scalability and availability. The maintenance is also an issue. When Oracle does maintenance, you need to be prepared because everything will be down.

We've been using this solution for six or seven years.

It's very good. It helps make the DBA work much easier, to be honest with you. The features from Oracle are amazing and it adapts multiple delivery models for the database itself.

You can scale everything fine with this solution.

We only need one person for deployment and one for maintenance.

The initial setup was straightforward. You don't actually have to deploy anything in Oracle Database as a Service. It's pretty easy. There is no special requirement to work with the team or anything.

Deployment time depends on the solution you choose because you have virtual machine builds and terminals. If it is a terminal, for example, it will take you between two or three minutes. While the virtual machine will need between 15 and 40 minutes.

The price depends on the solution you choose: standard, enterprise, or high performance. For example, enterprise can start between 0.4 an hour up to 1,800.

Additional fees also depend on what package you choose. Your fees will be different if you choose the standard, enterprise, high performance, or extreme package. You will pay in relation to what option you ask for.

The price is very good if you compare it to other databases.

What other advice do I have?

Be aware that migration actually takes some time. Also, keep in mind what your data size is. If you are going to have a huge database size, just migrate to Database as a Service.

I would rate this as nine out of ten.

1 visitor found this review helpful