Oracle Database In-Memory Review

What is most valuable?

Oracle has a lot of features embedded. In my opinion, Oracle In-Memory offers a lot of improvements in database performance specially for data warehouses and analytics workloads. Combined with Exadata, it makes a solution that will deliver the best performance related to the volume of data.

As I’m very involved in database security, I can tell say that Advanced Security Option and Database Vault are most valuable features for me because I can propose them to my customers to deliver the best security options for their databases.

How has it helped my organization?

Each time I've implemented the In-Memory option, the improvements have been on the performance side. This option offers a way to drastically reduce batch duration with a minimum of work because we only need to enable it on columns we choose, test batch performance, and that’s it. We can do this cycle of work less than 10 times and the job is completed.

What needs improvement?

They need to improve the Decision Support System with analytics workloads.

I've used Oracle Database since 2001, and I officially used the In-Memory option since its general availability in June 2014. But, as I’ve been a beta tester for the Oracle version that delivered this option, I can say that I've used it since the beginning of 2014.

There have been no issues deploying it.

The product is stable. Of course, at this level of software, there are always some bugs. But, each time I have had to implement it, the bugs weren’t very problematic and I've always found a patch or a workaround.

It scales to the needs of my customers.

Technical support is useful with the My Oracle Support website. But when I have to open a service request, I have to find a solution on my own because technical support usually doesn't understand my problem or they always ask for the same logs, same questions, and I ultimately waste my time.

I tested the In-Memory equivalent in DB2 or SQL Server 2014, but they both have limitations in their uses. SAP HANA is one of the most concurrent of Oracle’s solution, but I have never used it.

The deployment was very easy because we just have to set a volume of memory as the In-Memory area, and the enable In-Memory for specific columns. This part is longer, but for me, it’s more a tuning issue than a deployment issue. Deploying Oracle In-Memory is very easy and takes only a few minutes.

What other advice do I have?

Implementing Oracle In-Memory is very easy, but the tuning phase is mandatory to optimize it.