Oracle Database In-Memory Review

It is a stable, scalable solution that the vendor supports well if you pay for that support.

What is most valuable?

I cannot imagine IT today without Oracle databases. Oracle has basically delivered their data revolution with relational databases and their constant development and innovation going into the cloud.

What needs improvement?

They are coming up with more improvements than we actually want. If you ask most of the customers, they are happy with what they had 10 or 20 years back. The company has a need to make more money or beat the competition, so they constantly come up with these new features. They say these are cool features to have, but I don’t think they are needs. We don't need all the upgrades, practically speaking.

However, I am interested in the analytics of the data that is used for new research. Customers do need some of that information.

I have used this solution for 15 or 16 years.

This is a very stable solution. You always have kinks with any solution, but they have awesome support, depending upon how much money you pay them. You need to have platinum service to get good support. Otherwise, you'll have to struggle a bit.

The scalability is good, of course. Oracle is known for its scalability.

We have different levels of support. What makes the difference is how persistent you are. If you demonstrate that you have a lot at stake, then you will get good support. If you are very casual, then you will get slack support. This is the case with anybody.

The installations and upgrades are complex. It's a complicated, complex product, so you definitely need technology experts. You can’t just pick up anybody from the street, like a new graduate, to do this work. You definitely need inside help. You need expertise because this is complex technology. You're talking about Data Guard, which is a complex technology. You do need experts for help.

What other advice do I have?

We are going to be an Oracle shop for a long, long time.

When looking for a vendor, I look for expertise, how quickly they can roll out the product, and the cost of implementation.

More Oracle Database In-Memory reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with Oracle MySQL Cloud Service
Find out what your peers are saying about Oracle Database In-Memory vs. SAP HANA and other solutions. Updated: July 2021.
522,281 professionals have used our research since 2012.