Oracle Database Review

Good database with good processing and very good stability

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for auditing purposes.

What is most valuable?

The best feature of the solution is the capability of running extreme processes for database processing requirements.

From a database product perspective, I would say, they're good in what they provide. There's not much concern.

What needs improvement?

For our organization, the price is the main factor that needs improvement. They charge you exorbitantly for a license, and, I would say, they are not doing justice to today's industry requirements when it comes to a pricing model. They talk about cloud hybrid on-prem solutions, and they tell you that you have a cloud solution that will benefit your company considerably, however, it's just a lot of cut-throat pricing that they offer.

From the perspective of using the database in a legacy product, some people are usually stuck with it, and they need to continue working on that. That's a new thing they have not been able to change. The licensing model works in a different way altogether. It's not really very friendly for management to take decisions when it comes to executing licensing right for a product like this.

If their database encryption features could come in bytes, that would be a major improvement. They should bring the encryption model to their standard databases as well.

We've been using the solution for about seven years now.

In terms of stability, it's got a little bit more stability than it used to be. It's good. It's been quite stable, however, I believe the stability is limited to a standard model of licensing that we are provided.

Technical support has been very good for us. We have no complaints. We're satisfied with the level of service we've been provided. They are very helpful.

The licensing costs are very high. We feel the solution is price gouging its customers.

The solution has a standard license, which is different from an enterprise license. If you need the encryption feature, you need to go up to enterprise licensing which has a whole lot of other features that you may not even be using. Encryption is a top requirement in the industry, however, you're forced to use the enterprise edition if you need to use anything like this. That said, it is always better to go to a standard edition, which has more limited capabilities but can still fit into your product perspective.

What other advice do I have?

I'm not reselling this product. I'm using this for designing my own product, and I'm giving it as a solution to my customer. If I need to work out pricing for my customer, there may be my own raw materials that come into play.

The raw materials that come into play should be considered in order to make a better pricing model, which in turn can help me get a better solution for my clients. If the base product that you use is so expensive, like this is, it doesn't make sense. I would start looking at other products. That's what I'm doing. I need to better scale my capabilities.

I'd recommend Mongo Database over this product for that reason.

I'd rate the solution overall eight out of ten. It's very good. It's just a bit too expensive for my purposes.

More Oracle Database reviews from users
...who compared it with SQL Server
Learn what your peers think about Oracle Database. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,535 professionals have used our research since 2012.