Oracle Database Review

Optimal performance, seamless install, and highly stable

What is our primary use case?

We use the solutions as a backend, essentially it runs the database. We have the database to support the ERP, which is our customers, and it is running on Java.

How has it helped my organization?

The original Oracle Database is good for us, especially because even if the ERP is running on Java, we still get good performances. We are able to tune the database to get more optimal performance out of it. For example, we are storing information on the database and we have not had anybody complaining about lag or degradation, it is really good for our company.

What is most valuable?

I have experienced good performance from the solution.

What needs improvement?

Since the solution is from Oracle it tends to be complex when trying to integrate with other solutions.

In a future release, I wish it was easier to run on other cloud services, not just Oracle Cloud. It is possible to run it on other cloud services but it is incredibly difficult to plan and deploy it. However, it is supported by many other cloud services, it is just not easy, but I think maybe that is the direction they are headed.

Additionally, they could make management for security a little more intuitive. It is good so far but it could be easier.

I have been using the solution for four years.

The solution has never crashed. I have never needed to call Oracle to get a support ticket.

We have a really lightweight set up, we have the solution configured for 400 people.

We were using Oracle partner support and they have been very good.

The installation was easy, we had a lot of documentation. We installed the solution on Red Hat Linux and there were sufficient documents informing us on what to expect, hot to install it, and what to set up before you install. The install was seamless.

The deployment did not take long because we installed the solution in our primary location. We did not have to co-locate, the total time was approximately two hours.

The price is a little high for the solution, especially when you try and configure it in certain ways. We are using the application-specific user license, which is a little inexpensive. We pay approximately $4,900 USD annually.

The licensing model is complex, you are charged for many configuration setting used. You could deploy the solution and expect a cheaper rate but you might have deployed the solution with some of the costly features and now have to pay for them.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Oracle Database an eight out of ten.

More Oracle Database reviews from users
...who compared it with SQL Server
Learn what your peers think about Oracle Database. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
513,594 professionals have used our research since 2012.