Oracle Database Review

It has high availability, is reliable, and is manageable with several views and packages to monitor and troubleshoot issues and bottlenecks.

Valuable Features:

The main features that I take into account when I talk about databases of any kind are high availability, reliability and manageability. Oracle RDBMS has all that.

The high availability and reliability with Oracle RAC, Oracle Dataguard and Oracle Flashback, the manageability with several views and packages like Advanced Workload Repository(AWR), Active Session History(ASR), SQL Tuning Advisor, SQL Plan Control, and many others to monitoring and troubleshooting issues and bottlenecks, are valuable features.

Improvements to My Organization:

With Oracle RAC, we can reach near to the dreamed 99.999% of availability in a year. Oracle Enterprise manager allows us to see the "big picture" and take proactive actions to maintaining the environment.

Room for Improvement:

Oracle RDBMS has great features, but I believe that Oracle could be more flexible with the offering of some extra options, and include them in the main license. Today, a High Availability or MAA environment with an Oracle database is already expensive, plus with those extra options, it could increase the cost much more.

Other Advice:

Oracle RDBMS has a lot of features and is extremely stable, but all this come with a price, and in this case a big one. So, I would advise you to use Oracle RDBMS mainly for medium and large enterprises. For small enterprises, I advise using other RDBMs, like SQLServer or PostgreSQL.

2 Comments
User at a tech company with 51-200 employeesConsultant

oracle charges lot of money for licensing. specially if your environment is on virtual machines. oracle should come up with a way to reduce that licensing model on virtual machines hardware. they should charge same way as physical hardware.

21 September 16
User at a non-tech company with 10,001+ employeesUser

Oracle does charge a lot for their products - but you are getting exactly what you pay for, and so much more.

21 September 16