Oracle Database Review

What is most valuable?

The best thing about Oracle Database is that it performs well when measured on any scale. As a Database developer, I think it offers the best development tools of any database solution.

How has it helped my organization?

Its cross-platform compatibility provides flexibility for different platforms like Windows, Linux, Solaris, HP-UX, and AIX. Oracle offers high-performance handling of XML data.

What needs improvement?

We are currently using Oracle 11g, where as Oracle 12c now has all the major features for easy development. However, as the database industry is growing, there is room to enhance object reusability by introducing some development framework or out-of-the-box concepts.

I've used it for 12 years.

There were no issues with the deployment.

We had no issues with the stability.

It is scalable. Indeed, you don’t have to worry about scalability as this is Database's strength -- it grows with your business and is an all-in-one solution.

I have had some discussions with a few DBAs. Oracle technical support is not very good compared to Microsoft technical support, the latter of which is more proactive and reachable. Secondly, Oracle technical support is more costly than its competitors.

I also have worked as a developer on Microsoft Dynamics AX with SQL server. The main reason we changed was because of the AX Dynamics cost - initial cost, customization, and maintenance. It is much lower than Oracle Database.

As with any vendor resource, availability is also a major issue for Oracle. As there is a lot of development flavors for Microsoft, resources are easily available and it's more flexible to work with on different technology. In comparison, Oracle resources are scarce and are mostly away from new market trends.

The complexity of the initial setup depends, as it is a self-manageable database for small databases, whereas for mid and enterprise levels, it needs serious attention.

The cost of Oracle Database is a little higher than competitor products, but it gives good ROI in the longer run.

For long term investment, it is the best option. Initially, its cost is higher, but its running cost is less than other competitors.

What other advice do I have?

This is the best database product on the market.

More Oracle Database reviews from users