Oracle Database Review

What is most valuable?

I think that the most valuable feature of Oracle Database is the knowledge base that's available. If there's a bug, I can find the solution in the knowledge base. If I need to know why something's happened, or whether there's a workaround, I can find the solution in the knowledge base. There's a wealth of information available there, and I live and die by it.

How has it helped my organization?

Our core business relies on its ability to work with RDBS. You could say that we make all our money by using Oracle. Since version 8i, it's been my bread and butter. I love the product and use it every day.

What needs improvement?

The features that are there, it usually works perfectly. The new features, you see that it takes some time to pick up and sometimes they break things they really shouldn't.

I've been using it since Oracle 8i, which was 18 years ago.

We've had no issues with deployment.

Oracle has added a new optimizer option to do some very fancy stuff, but it provides the wrong results. And at this stage in the life of the product, wrong results should never happen. That's why I have Database -- to get the correct results.

It scales very well. With NoSQL though, there are scalability issues because it just cannot spin up. But I've found that with Hadoop and AWS, you can spin up to 2,000 new nodes and it works fine. You can't do that with Oracle, but it's legacy software nowadays.

Technical support is fine. Fortunately, we don't have any priority-one issues within our business that depend on Oracle Database. For minute-to-minute operations, I get a good enough response from technical support.

As a vendor, we support older versions and the customer will never touch them. I really don't need to ask technical support for a fix, I know that the customers will not use it.

We haven't used a different RDBMS since I started with the company.

The initial setup was done before I started my current position.

The implementation was done before I started my current position.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Partners