Oracle Database Review

I like its ability to be tuned so that we can gather data and our developers can build their code in it without too much hassle.

Valuable Features

The most valuable feature is its ability to be tuned so that we can gather data and our developers can build their code in it without too much hassle. Oracle Database has a lot of memory and other parameters that you can specify in the .ORA file and tune.

Room for Improvement

They should make new releases more stable, rather than waiting for the product to mature and releasing patches. Also, they should improve their tech support so that it's more consistent.

Also, I'm looking for more security. They give you a lot of options, but they all cost extra. I'm hoping that in the enterprise edition they include some of those options at no extra cost as standard features. It's already expensive as it is.

Use of Solution

I've been using it for 20 years.

We've had no issues deploying it.

The newer releases always have bugs and issues, but as the releases mature, they become stable. Take 11g R1, for example, which is a good product, but it initially contained a lot of bugs and kinks. 11g R2 was a lot more stable with many of the issues worked out. There were still some bugs, but they were minor and fixed with patches.

We have used it in rack environments where we use it with Oracle Clusterware and Oracle Grid, and we can scale it.

Technical support, in our experience, is both good and bad. There have been times when we log an issue and the feedback we get or the support we're getting are just not good. But the there are times when within an hour or two we get the right feedback. So I guess it all depends on the engineer who evaluates the ticket and receives it and works on it.

Other Advice

Oracle Database is definitely a great tool. If you're looking for a database technology or tool, you should definitely use Oracle Database. There are many other databases in the market, but I think Oracle has really matured its product over the last ten years. It has a lot of options that do cost extra, but there are a lot of security options in there that are built-in, such as encryption, transportable table spaces, etc.