Oracle Database Review

We're happy about how if one of the Oracle nodes in the cluster goes down, the others keep running.

Valuable Features:

I really like the way Oracle Database handles crash recovery. I find that that's the most valuable feature among the other databases that I work with. I have yet to see a time when my database crashed, for whatever reason, whether it be node crash or server crash, and Oracle didn't clean it up and it come back online as before. The way Oracle processes cleanup itself and comes back online is great. If one of the Oracle nodes in the cluster goes down, the others keep running, which we're very happy about.

Improvements to My Organization:

It's a good, solid database architecture, one of the best in the industry. With it, we also have a good partnership with Oracle, who provides us with great support.

Room for Improvement:

It's so huge, so vast. If we're talking about security, there could be improvements. Also, we'd like to be able to come up with migration strategies that involve less downtime. That's one of our struggles with it, particularly when we're migrating sizes of several terabytes. We can't afford to have our agents down for twelve hours at a time to do the migrations. So I'd like to see some more innovative ideas, some more improvements in that area to help us out.

Deployment Issues:

We've had no issues with the deployment.

Stability Issues:

It's very stable. We've had no issues with instability.

Scalability Issues:

We've been using the add-node functionality. We started with a few of the clusters, the RAC cluster, with two nodes, and we have expanded them to five. We are going to what we call the super-cluster design.

Initial Setup:

The initial setup is intuitive, though I can't say it's necessarily easy. It's just that I've been doing it for several years now.

Implementation Team:

We do implementations with our in-house team.

Other Advice:

I think Oracle is the way to go. It's a solid RDBMS. There's lots to learn.