Oracle Database Review

The Active Data Guard feature provides the comfort of routing reporting requirements to a standby site while at the same time redoing the application.

What is most valuable?

Active Data Guard: This feature is useful for all organizations, I believe, as it provides you the comfort of routing your reporting requirements to a standby site while at the same time redo application is done.

Tablespace Encryption: This feature helps in protecting your data whenever you share it. It prevents unrestricted access to data, no matter whether you are DBA or OS guy.

Data Masking: This feature helps in hiding the confidential information from unauthorized users, such as customer phone#, email, account balance, credit card#, etc.

Database Replay

How has it helped my organization?

Active Data Guard has been pretty handy in managing the real-time reporting requirements from our core systems. Tablespace Encryption has also been very helpful in implementing security to ensure that our data is secured.

What needs improvement?

Data Guard: We face issues while configuring standby sites using Data Guard. The error messages reported do not match with the actual reason for failure. So, proper error logging should be developed so that users can reach the exact root cause.

I have used it for five years.

I did not encounter any deployment issues.

I did not encounter any stability issues.

I did not encounter any scalability issues.

I rate customer service 6.5/10.

I rate technical support 6.5/10. The reason for such a low rating is that we are located in Asia and whenever we open a SR during daytime, it is routed to an Indian engineer who doesn't provide a lot of support. However, when I open a SR during nighttime, we are assigned some American engineer who helps in resolving the issue pretty promptly. So I think Oracle needs to look into this. It’s my opinion only.

We have been using Oracle from day one.

Installation is pretty simple and user friendly.

In-house implementation.

That’s pretty much financial stuff myself being a DBA can't answer. However, when Oracle is keeping things up and running, then ROI would be good.

License cost for Oracle Database and other products seems to be on the higher side, but even then, more than half of the market is captured by Oracle.

We evaluated MS SQL Server.

What other advice do I have?

Just go for it and explore its features. You will find a pretty easy way to manage your routine tasks.

3 Comments
author avatarUser at a tech company with 10,001+ employees

This is used by us for Disaster Recovery and management.

author avatarUser
User

ADG is a traditional DR technology. Main use case is for reducing the load on production and offlaoding the reporting on DR site.

author avatarUser at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
User

I agree that active data guard is very useful