Oracle Database Review

Container Databases help reduce server sprawl and improve resource management.

What is most valuable?

Container Databases (CDBs) help reduce server sprawl and manage resources in a much better way. It's a feature that consolidates all your application data with Oracle database metadata, still keeping a strict role to manage each of them respectively. With the CDBs, it's become easy to deploy, clone and administer Oracle databases.

Application Continuity simply helps application to be highly available by doing a lot fewer application code changes.

How has it helped my organization?

It helped consolidate most of our database servers, and saved annual maintenance costs of up to 23% on physical servers.

What needs improvement?

Oracle could provide a few extra features as part of the standard offering in their main license.

I have used it for a few years.

It depends on the kind of database solution you are applying, but I have not yet encountered any stability issues.

10/10 MOS Support is actually something you can heavily rely on.

Technical support is 9/10, very proactive and very helpful.

Use licensing with caution, read the fine print. :) ?This is an important point and usually it's not skipped by the companies paying for the license. Nonetheless, Oracle supports your applications and database only if Oracle has certified the ?hardware and software that the companies have used to build and deploy their applications and databases on; which basically means that you have to use industry-standard hardware and software.

It is possible that your hardware is not supported or has been desupported for a specific version of the Oracle product, so just remember to read the fine print before you deploy your applications.

MS SQL Server was also under consideration, but we had more Oracle DBA's to work with and Oracle’s training requirements were also more favorable.

12c
More Oracle Database reviews from users
...who compared it with SQL Server
Learn what your peers think about Oracle Database. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
513,594 professionals have used our research since 2012.
4 Comments

author avatarit_user449478 (Technical Trainer at a non-tech company with 501-1,000 employees)

Just a user driven review about Oracle database 12c. What has changed from typical 11g architecture as compared to 12c by adding brand new swanky new features in the database. 12c is here to stay, whether you like it or not! Also, Oracle is already or (if not yet) will push all it's clients soon for a 12c upgrade. Hope this review helps!

author avatarit_user516453 (User at a tech company with 10,001+ employees)

12c version of the oracle database is the best of breed cloud based db

author avatarit_user516456 (User at a tech company with 10,001+ employees)

Good Review. I have used 12c database with container in my daily work and found more efficient than other databases in the market

author avatarit_user501645 (Senior Oracle DBA consultant at a government with 10,001+ employees)

There is no doubt that multi-tenant feature is awesome and I have also implemented in my current project or peoplesoft HRMS upgrade , where user always request more DBs during the upgrade path.