Oracle Database Review

Very secure, Highly scalable and high performance enterprise database

What is our primary use case?

• Security and Scalability
  • I have used Oracle technologies for last two decades apart from other similar vendors like MS SQL Server, IBM DB2, etc.

How has it helped my organization?

It helped build a strong core application layer

Its a natural choice for any complex enterprise relational system

What is most valuable?

• Security and Scalability
  • Power of Oracle combined with robust Unix platforms like Linux or AIX makes it powerful and secure as compared to MS SQL on Windows
  • IBM DB2 needs indepth technical expertise and lot of workarounds or automation to build a strong solution, MS SQL is on Windows and that makes it not the best choice

What needs improvement?

Support and Patching.

I found MS SQL Server support more helpful in many cases where in they internally rope in technology experts from different layers rather than pushing back on the clients, something Oracle can incorporate for sure.

More than five years.

Multiple issues, but mostly triggered from lower layers like OS, Network, storage layers.

Oracle GRID is sensitive to underlying network and disk timeouts and node evictions may happen if disk and network systems are not optimized

Oracle systems are highly scalable, Backup and Recovery strategy needs to be tweaked and is not as scalable as core database system. It needs some special attention to meet your RTO

I would rate it 6/10. Many times the support is not able to solve the problems and they would put you into loops and escalate to their dev team which may take months to come back with a solution. Sometimes the solution never arrives and you are forced to upgrade to higher version.

I would rate it 7/10.

1 visitor found this review helpful
2 Comments
Chris Mc KinnishUser

Disagree with the "IBM DB2 works on workarounds" comment

28 March 17
Operations Engineering Manager at a consultancy with 10,001+ employeesConsultant

My experience with IBM support is that they rarely admitted a new bug but rather provided workarounds like updating internal tables, Putting scripts to clear locks etc.
Also we found layers like TSA and RSCT issues are not handled or fixed end to end

17 May 17