Oracle Database Review
It provides accessibility and speed for retrieving data.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are it's accessibility and speed for retrieving data that I need, along with the ease of use. That's the most important thing: getting the data out. It’s logical, it makes sense, it’s intuitive.

How has it helped my organization?

I'm able to provide analytical data to end users easily, quickly, using a lot of built-in functionalities that the database provides. I don't have to export data to Excel and run a bunch of macros on it in order to get the average column or something like that. The built-ins that they have are helpful.

What needs improvement?

The biggest area for improvement for me is the error messaging. When it returns errors, it gives you a number; here's why I can't insert a character into a number field. One of the most annoying things for me is that it says, for example, "Value too large to insert column" but it doesn't tell you, "Okay you know what you're trying to do. Tell me what you're trying to do so that I can go fix it a lot easier".

So, more information in the error messaging would be nice.

I've been using Oracle database for more than 30 years.

I love it. I've been progressing with it ever since. It's nice, it does change a lot every year; there are new features. Oracle's always coming out with new stuff and so it's good; keeps you on your toes, keeps you going to OpenWorld.

It is always up. If the database is down, it's more likely something to do with the hardware.

It has scaled well to our needs. We have replication occurring at our office. We use Exadata, and we have clusters. It's replicated across production, dev and two QA instances, so it's nice.

I really don't have much knowledge about technical support because I never have to really do that. If something did go wrong with the database, that'd be more of a database administrator's function.

I was not involved in the initial setup. I'm more of an end user of the database.

I did not look at any other products before choosing Oracle's database.

What other advice do I have?

It's well worth the investment. It might scare you up front because, yes, there are other, less-expensive options out there for your database, but if you plan on building an enterprise application, it's what you have to do. Spend the money.
I love it; it's the best.