Oracle Database Review

It has had a multiple-concurrent-user control system from the very beginning.

What is most valuable?

Oracle Database has had a multiple-concurrent-user control system from the very beginning. Most enterprise database solutions have recently become aware of this. Oracle's approach was the true approach to isolate users. Databases have some isolation levels and some anomalies. Oracle's database has solved them in a very brilliant way. From the beginning, 20 years ago, Oracle solved those problems. It is the most ACID-compliant database.

It has a multiple-concurrent-user control system, and it is the most ACID-compliant database.

How has it helped my organization?

We have the opportunity to easily open service requests and get answers from the professional Oracle teams. We have the advanced customer support team in Turkey. If there is a problem, it is easily and elegantly solved. It adds value; we trust Oracle.

What needs improvement?

We have not been using the new release yet, we are running on 11g. We haven’t had much opportunity to deeply examine 12c yet.

See my comments in the initial setup section.

Oracle database is stable. When Oracle slows down or if you can't use data, it means you are doing something wrong. The architecture is in the logs, the logging mechanism. If you know how to configure the database, it is impossible for you to lose data. It has the Data Guard disaster solution.

The Oracle database was first designed by people who left the Central Intelligence Agency. They knew how to implement security in the core of the database. I find it reliable and stable.

We are using a three-node RAC database; it is highly scalable. If we want to add another node, we just buy the hardware and add it to the RAC system. It is highly scalable.

When you have Oracle products, you have the right to use the Oracle support. We are able to open service requests. If it is urgent, we can open level-one service request. Somebody calls you and tries to find a solution to your problem. It is very useful.

When I was hired by my current company, they were already using the Oracle E-Business Suite, which obviously works with same database.

I myself installed the RAC database. I migrated from the old system to the new system with RMAN. We used the Oracle recovery tool to install the RAC and migrate our data to the new RAC system.

For those parts, to be honest, Oracle Database requires more effort than the other databases. It is a little complex. You have to know what you are doing. With RMAN, recovery, backup and restore - those kinds of operations - are a little bit more difficult than with other databases. You need slightly more manpower to run an Oracle database than the other databases.

The Microsoft SQL database now has an option to deal with data anomalies, for example, lost updates. Lost updates are a kind of anomaly with consistency. How do you support this with consistency? Those are all design issues. Microsoft has very recently implemented it in their database. There could be some anomalies in the database. You have to enable this option.

Years and years ago, Oracle already had this implementation designed into their database. I was working at a bank before my current company. The reason why they chose Oracle was the approach to data consistency.

What other advice do I have?

Oracle is the most ACID-compliant database, and it is the most professional proficient OLTP database in the world today.

Look at the prices for additional add-ons. For example, partitioning costs in Oracle are a little high and partitioning is a very powerful tool of Oracle Database. Be aware of that partitioning option.

Look at the disaster solutions, for example, because that involves a data dump. Look at whether it is SQL compliant or not.

Determine whether you really need an OLTP database. Oracle Database is an OLTP, ACID-compliant database, and maybe you do not need that; maybe you need some type of document-based database. It depends on how you conduct your business.

When I am looking at vendors to work with, tech support is very important. We are in Turkey and sometimes it is difficult to find a lot of companies. Oracle is very active in Turkey. In Turkey, the banking and telecommunications sectors are very heavily dependent on technology. Most of them are using Oracle technologies. Sometimes. we can't find support easily.

We also look for stability, of course.