Oracle Database Review

Containers and pluggable databases give us more control of resource levels and planning

What is most valuable?

The most important features are container and pluggable database. Now we have more control on the resource level, resource planning, where we can segregate our application based on the pluggable database and utilize the resources better.

How has it helped my organization?

The hardware cost and the maintenance cost, because we don't need to buy multiple servers. We don't need to engage so many DBAs. Instead we can put multiple databases in one container database.

What needs improvement?

Stability features should be there. And the performance, we are not expecting better performance as of now. They must include bug fixes and release a better version of their 12c Database.

It is pretty stable, but since it's only the very first version they released, I would say probably they're going to fix it in release 2.

It scales well so far, no issues at all, but some of the advanced features are pretty expensive, especially on engineered systems like Exadata.

We are getting good results for service requests, but sometimes we see too much delay. Sometimes we see their investigation is going in the wrong direction. They have to improve a bit in order to provide support.

For example, I have three or four service requests going on with Oracle, and I have seen so many delays, and asking unnecessary questions, which I would not have expected from Oracle.

Upgrading is not an issue. As long as our application is supporting the upgrade. We can upgrade from 11g to 12c without any issues.

But we have seen issues where we are upgrading our databases from 8i or 9i to 12c. Those versions are still not very compatible with 12c.

We have been with Oracle Database for a long time. Our products are stable on Oracle Database except some performance issues.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to check the application side, what applications they are going to attach to Oracle Database. Make sure the applications are fully compatible with the Oracle Database.