Oracle Database Review

Row Locking and the reliability are what make it valuable for us

What is most valuable?

Row Locking, which is probably the reason why Oracle is number one.

How has it helped my organization?

Oracle database is more reliable than anything else.

What needs improvement?

From my point of view as a DBA, the administration tools, especially the database administration tools and the developer tools. They are still behind compared to Toad or anything else.

It's pretty stable.

In terms of scaling, I haven't seen any issues. I don't really like RAC. From our experience, the single instance was better for us than the RAC. We do have RAC and the single instance, but we are actually moving our RAC machines to the single instance because the overhead by direct was not really acceptable. One of the main reasons was because now you have to use ASM, and we didn't find ASM very efficient.

It's probably the worst tech support that any company has, compared to anything that I have worked with.

It's a nightmare if I have to open a service request. I opened a simple service request with a question about two months ago. I found the workaround, but the service request is still open. No one ever even bothered to answer anything, and it was level-2.

What other advice do I have?

Go through the concepts. Once when you get the concepts, then you can easily figure it out. Everything is available, but you have to know what you are doing with the database otherwise you can screw up very badly.