Oracle Database Review

Streamlines data retrieval and incorporates many security features

What is most valuable?

The best thing about Oracle Database is its being a relational database. There is no other database that can meet the benefits it provides. The data retrieval and access are the main keys, the best features within Oracle.

How has it helped my organization?

I'm a technical guy so how I look at data is, it needs to be accessed quickly, preserved safe and secure. Basically, the product should give you peace of mind within the corporation. There shouldn't be any worries as such.

It facilitates a lot of security benefits.

What needs improvement?

The only major thing that we see right now is the downtime. Whenever there is an upgrade, whenever there is planned, scheduled maintenance, the downtime could be a huge impact for the business itself. That is where other companies are trying to compete, in terms of providing solutions, to avoid the downtime or minimize it.

There aren't really stability issues. Oracle does have a physical real application cluster, RAC. It does minimize the downtime.

It's absolutely scalable. The 12c version is way more scalable than how it was in the 11g version. It does solve that problem.

I'm the one who resolves the tickets. We don't use tech support.

I'm pretty new to working here at PayPal. But they have had Oracle for so many years. And so many companies that I've worked for in the past, like Best Buy, Cargill, Cisco, all these companies have Oracle at a very large scale.

What other advice do I have?

Even though it is really expensive compared to other databases, like SQL and other non-SQL databases out there, Oracle has been like a monopoly. They are very high, premium. Still, consumers want to use it because it meets customers' needs.

It's pretty simple to use. You pretty much find all the technical stuff online even if you are a newbie, for you to get up to speed. It just takes your willingness to learn and understand it.