Oracle Database Review

Easy to set up with lots of features and in general good to work with

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution based on the requirements of a client.

How has it helped my organization?

We primarily use it for a client that has a huge amount of data and has another application that also has lots of data. It's very good at handling jobs that have huge datasets.

What is most valuable?

I'm not a regular user of the solution.

It's a great product overall.

The initial setup isn't too difficult.

The product does have a lot of features. However, I've barely explored them.

What needs improvement?

The main issue with Oracle is the maintenance required. They should work to make it less maintenance-heavy. This is especially true if you are using it on Linux. You need more experience and skills in order to maintain it on Linux in general.

We've had corruption occur if the power gets cut off. We had a bad experience with some cases. However, this might have been due to our own infrastructure issues that have since been dealt with.

We've used the solution for three or four years.

The solution isn't widely used by our company. I'm the only one testing it. The people in our company don't use Oracle at all.

I've never directly dealt with technical support. I cannot speak to how helpful or responsive they would be. Whenever I have a problem or issue, I google it and search for answers online.

While I don't have much personal experience, my understanding is that the initial setup isn't too difficult. It's pretty simple and straightforward.

In our organization, we don't use Oracle, aside from in labs. We use Oracle in our labs just for testing and connectivity. We have versions of Oracle in our labs and other SQL devices.

We don't really use the solution too much in the company and therefore don't have a license. We test it for customers. I can't speak to the licensing process or costs.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution at an eight out of ten. It's mostly been a positive experience, working with the product.

Between Oracle and SQL, I would recommend SQL to other users and companies.

More Oracle Database reviews from users
...who compared it with SQL Server
Learn what your peers think about Oracle Database. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: August 2021.
534,057 professionals have used our research since 2012.