Oracle Database Review

Gives us good performance on large amounts of data while AWR helps us find problems

How has it helped my organization?

Oracle Database is really good for a distributed system and the scalability is really good. We use it for a large amount of data and it gives us good performance. For really complex, distributed business cases, it's a really good choice.

What is most valuable?

• I really appreciate the performance of Oracle.
  • When using AWR records you can really see where a problem is.
  • You can get advice about which queries are the heaviest for the database.
  • You also can see advice for indexes. If an index isn't used, then you can remove it to improve performance. This is a really good feature.
  • The JDBC connection is also quite good.
  • The object types are really good, the types of tables you can use in PL/SQL are also really helpful.

What needs improvement?

Its performance could always be better and better but, other than that, I can't think of any additional features I would like to see.

More than five years.

It's stable. It's good. But I think it could be better.

The scalability is quite good. We have experience in many countries with distributed systems and it has really satisfied us, and our clients are satisfied as well.

We did not have a previous solution, as far as I know.

It's not really good from the pricing point of view.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend Oracle Database if you have enough money and you need a big, stable system in which performance is important.

We are starting to think about other solutions because of money and because of the cloud. Oracle is on the cloud, but we have started thinking about another cloud, which could use PostgreSQL and Microsoft Server. That may be our solution in the future.

The most important criteria when selecting a vendor are their ability to handle a huge volume of data, security, and then price. Price is not the first one, but it's an important one. And finally, the cloud could be important.

I would rate Oracle Database at nine out of ten because of the stability and because they try to improve the product in every release. The next release is always better than the previous one. From release to release, we get more performance, which is really good. Even if you aren't a DBA, there a lot of features that you can put to use by yourself.