Oracle Database Review

Easy to use, stable, and offers good technical support

What is our primary use case?

The solution is a black box for us. I'm working on it for maintenance and check everything - check the cables, check the relationship between cables to serve this product, et cetera. Sometimes our customer needs to extract some information from the system via our extension for the database to extract this info directly from the database and not from the system.

We didn't interact more on the database so the use cases are mostly related to the extraction of information in tables. To check the database status, we have another system, a geosystem, so we check the replication between the two systems. Some operations are a little more than general development on the database.

What is most valuable?

The database is very easy to use.

We are making some automation scripts. We are working to minimize and reduce the logs and it's very helpful to be able to have the capabilities to do this.

The solution is very stable.

Technical support is helpful.

What needs improvement?

We didn't have any complaints about Oracle Database except for the vulnerability we see in some aspects of the product. Sometimes we receive some vulnerability email from the security team and it's sent to the product owner to check the vulnerability. Sometimes they tell us we can't upgrade the database for now as there's a vulnerability Oracle couldn't find a solution for. After one month or two, they're back to us and let us know they've solved it. They need to do a better job of patching security issues they find and making those patches happen faster.

The solution is a bit expensive.

I have an intermediate amount of experience with Oracle. I've used it for a while. I've been used it for about a year.

The stability of the solution is very good. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's very reliable.

The solution is very scalable. Ours was managing about 5,000 servers all over Egypt. The performance and historical transaction on sites is good, and if you need more storage on your database, you can do so with relative ease.

We have 200 users logged in at any given time.

Support is very good. If I have an issue, I simply open a case with Oracle. They are very helpful and responsive. We're satisfied with the support. They've been good.

We did previously use Microsoft SQL. We found it to be very fast and responsive. We're still using it, actually. It is the database for our distribution.

I cannot speak to the implementation process. I'm not sure how easy or difficult the setup is as I did not handle any aspect of it.

That said, if I have the manual and steps for installation, I can install it.

We have three people on staff that can handle maintenance. They're all engineers.

We had a vendor that handled the implementation for us.

I find the pricing to be high. They should work to lower it if possible.

We pay a yearly licensing and support fee to Oracle. I can't speak to the exact costs, however.

What other advice do I have?

I can't recall the exact version number of the solution, however, it's my understanding that it is version 11.

I'd rate the product at a nine out of ten. We've been quite pleased with the overall capabilities so far.

I'd recommend the solution to other users and companies. We've been very happy with its capabilities overall.

More Oracle Database reviews from users
...who compared it with SQL Server
Learn what your peers think about Oracle Database. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
535,544 professionals have used our research since 2012.