Oracle E-Business Suite Review

Great employee self-service and order management but needs better integrations

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution in a variety of ways via modules. There are parts for employees and other areas for services. On top of that, we have modules for supply chains. We have modules for human resource management, and financial as well as for retail and inventory.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution has helped the organization in a multitude of ways. For example, it has really helped with the way we manage retail orders. The automation of retail and dealer order management has helped us a lot. It is one big use case that's a good example of the transformation that's possible with this product. Previously, the order management was manual. Currently, it has been automated to such a degree that a dealer can simply go to a portal, and actually make a payment. The payment reflects right in the system. After making the payment in the system, the dealer is able to make an order. Within a matter of 10 to 20 minutes, he has his stock. There's an integration between the dealer self-service system to the ERP to inventory and even to the warehouse. Everything surrounding that is fully automated, thanks to Oracle Release 12.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable aspect of the solution is the employee self-service.

The order management is excellent.

What needs improvement?

I would say the integration needs improvement. Oracle needs to work on the integration layer to make the solution much more robust and modern.

The solution needs full cloud netting.

I've been using the solution since I joined the company. It's been about seven or so years now.

The solution is stable. So far we've not had a priority one or priority two incidence from Oracle E-Business. There aren't bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. So far so good. I'd describe it as reliable at this point.

The scalability of the solution is good. If a company needs to expand the solution, they should be able to do so.

Our company has between 5,000 to 10,000 users if you factor in the dealers and the employees together. Our average employee count is 6,000. That's employees alone. On top of that, we have dealers who are around 3,000. Adding both groups together, you are looking at somewhere between 6,000 and 10,000 users.

The solution technically is supported well both from Oracle, who is the owner of the solution, and IBM, who is the integrator. I cannot complain. So far, we're quite satisfied with the technical support offered by both companies.

When I joined, the company was on a previous version of Oracle. One of the first tasks I handled when I joined I was to head up the upgrade project. It's a solution that's been used from the beginning, or, at least that's my understanding.

I wouldn't describe the initial setup as straightforward. It's very complex. Even Oracle themselves would say that this solution has the most complex implementation of their products. It might even be one of the most complex in the world.

Deployment took almost one year. This was due to the fact that the analysis design alone took almost six to seven months. Implementation and testing alone took another five or so months.

We used an integrator and a consultant to assist us in the implementation. The consultants were from Oracle and the integrator was IBM. We needed them both due to the complex nature of the setup.

What other advice do I have?

Our relationship with Oracle is simplly one of supplier-customer relations.

This solution is deployed in our organization on credit in two sides active-active.

What I would tell other companies considering the solution is this: first, they need to know that it is an expensive solution. It's very expensive and therefore could only be affordable for companies that have a given level of revenue.

Beyond that, I would say Oracle needs to be a fit for future use in terms of being cloud-native. Organizations should ensure their solution can run on other public cloud providers other than Oracle themselves. They need to have their permission that it can be deployed in AWS or Azure or Google. Right now, the cloud version that they have most likely locks to Oracle cloud itself and they just need to be aware they need the option and flexibility.

I'd rate the solution seven out of ten.

More Oracle E-Business Suite reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with Oracle HCM Cloud
Learn what your peers think about Oracle E-Business Suite. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
521,637 professionals have used our research since 2012.